Transformational leadership is that which:s
facilitates a redefinition of a people’s mission and vision, a renewal of their commitment and the restructuring of their systems for goal accomplishment. It is a relationship of mutual stimulation and elevation that converts followers into leaders and may convert leaders into moral agents. Hence, transformationalleadership must be grounded in moral foundations.
. Characteristics of Transformational Leaders.
• clear sense of purpose, expressed simply (e.g. metaphors, anecdotes)
• value driven (e.g. have core values and congruent behaviour)
• strong role model
• high expectations
• perpetual desire for learning
• love work
• life-long learners
• identify themselves as change agents
• able to attract and inspire others
• effective communicator
• emotionally mature
• unwilling to believe in failure
• sense of public need.
• considerate of the personal needs of employees
• listens to all viewpoints to develop spirit of cooperation
• able to deal with complexity, uncertainty and ambiguity
Following table shows difference of transactional and transformation leadership
* Leaders are aware of the link between the effort and reward
*leadership is responsive and its basic orientation is dealing with present issues
* Leaders rely on standard forms of inducement, reward, punishment and sanction to control followers
* Leaders motivate followers by setting goals and promising rewards for desired performance
*leadership depends on the leader’s power to reinforce subordinates for their successful completion of the bargain.
* Leaders arouse emotions in their followers which motivates them to act beyond the framework of what may be described as exchange relations
*leadershipt is proactive and forms new expectations in followers
* Leaders are distinguished by their capacity to inspire and provide individualized consideration, intellectual stimulation and idealized influence to their followers
* Leaders create learning opportunities for their followers and stimulate followers to solve problems
* Leaders possess good visioning, rhetorical and management skills, to develop strong emotional bonds with followers
* Leaders motivate followers to work for goals that go beyond self-interest.