Posts : 638
Points : 2155
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2010-05-15
Age : 29
Location : islamabad
|Subject: MTH302 GDB SOLUTION Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:23 pm|| |
- Quote :
Measures of Central Tendency
Definition of Measures of Central Tendency
* A measure of central tendency is a measure that tells us where the middle of a bunch of data lies.
* The three most common measures of central tendency are the mean, the median, and the mode.
More about Measures of Central Tendency
* Mean: Mean is the most common measure of central tendency. It is simply the sum of the numbers divided by the number of numbers in a set of data. This is also known as average.
* Median: Median is the number present in the middle when the numbers in a set of data are arranged in ascending or descending order. If the number of numbers in a data set is even, then the median is the mean of the two middle numbers.
* Mode: Mode is the value that occurs most frequently in a set of data.
Examples of Measures of Central Tendency
Solved Example on Measures of Central Tendency
Find the measures of central tendency for the data set 3, 7, 9, 4, 5, 4, 6, 7, and 9.
A. Mean = 6, median = 6 and modes are 4, 7 and 9B. Mean = 6, median = 6 and mode is 4C. Mean = 6, median = 6 and modes are 4 and 9D. Mean = 6, median = 9 and modes are 4, 7 and 9Correct Answer: A
Step 1: Mean, median and mode of a data set are the measures of central tendency.
Step 2: Mean of the data set = Step 3: Step 4: [Add the data values in the numerator and divide.]
Step 5: The data set in the ascending order is 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7, 9, and 9. So, Median of the set is 6. [Median is the middle data value of the ordered set.]
Step 6: Mode is/are the data value(s) that appear most often in the data set. So, the modes of the data set are 4, 7 and 9.
Step 7: So, the measures of central tendency of the given set of data are mean = 6, median = 6 and modes are 4, 7, and 9.
Related Terms for Measures of Central Tendency